Sunday, July 03, 2005

Scouting and me

Whenever I feel inadequate and lost in bouts of disappointments with life and myself, I am reminded of the scout hymn as a song of encouragement. This is despite the fact that I have no more associations, and would no longer like to draw any association, with the Scout Movement.

I recall a period of pure fervency towards Scouting during my secondary and junior college years. It is true that the higher one climbs, the harder one falls. Scouting has opened many doors for me later, but all I have failed in their expectations to enter. It has shown me my inadequacies, and for that I am ashamed to have ever been a President's Scout. That is why I do not like to mention that fact. I don't deserve to be one.

The remnants of my scouting life are a few true blue friends whom I can always rely on (to fail me, to hang out, to bully, to insult, to abuse++) - Kelly and Chee wee, mainly.

No matter that I no longer associate myself with the Scout Movement - the Scout Hymn does still reflect certain values and spirits that I hold onto.

Now as I start upon my chosen way
In all I do - my thoughts, my work, my play
Grant has I promise courage new for me
To be the best - the best that I can be

Help me to keep my honour shining bright
May I be loyal in the hardest fight
Let me be able for my task and then
To earn a place among my fellow men

Open my eyes to see things as I should
That I may do my daily turn of good
Let me be ready, waiting for each need
To keep me clean, in thoughts and word and deed

So as I journey on my chosen way
In all I do - my thoughts, my work, my play
Grant has I promise, courage new for me
To be the best - the best that I can be.



The Scout Hymn you're listening to now is from the Album "Echoes of Sarimbun"

No comments: